- The technician will ensure the vehicle is safely positioned and is OFF before exiting the vehicle.
- The technician will identify himself to the contact person at the site and obtain a safe-work permit.
- A tail-gate meeting will be held with all concerned parties to explain the test procedure and gain specific site information.
- This system relies on the introduction of an inert contaminant that is easy to detect.
- Helium is introduced into the system and then an electronic gas detector or “sniffer” is used to find or pinpoint the source of the helium.
- This type of test requires adequate seals to the system to ensure the helium leaves through breaches in the system.
- At the conclusion of the test, the technician will remove all test equipment and return the safe work permit to the originator or their designate.
- The vessel may then be returned to normal service or remedial action taken.
- A written report will be provided.
Reviewed Oct 31/16